10.05.2011

Kona Town (Pictures)

Kona is a busy little town this time of year.  Here are some pics I've taken the past couple of days:

These signs are all over the Queen K between Kona and the airport.



How barren is the bike course?  In some spots, it's pretty barren.


The banyon tree on Ali'i Drive (not far from the finish).

The donkey crossing sign on the Queen K.  This is what I'll be looking for on the way back after Kawaihae.  It's just North of the airport so after this you know you're getting close to town.  I may head out there at dawn or twilight and see if I can find some wild donkeys.

If I can't find wild donkeys, I'll just buy some donkey balls (macadamia nuts).

Yep.

Sign by the Pier. 

Here's a sign you don't see in Wisconsin.

Honu.  They're easy to find at the beach.  You actually have to get out of their way because they just hang out and ride the waves and aren't afraid of people.

Lava Java.  I thought I'd be hanging out here a lot, but it's so busy I've been avoiding it.  It looks like they have good breakfast so I might eat there one of these mornings.

Me and Chris Lieto.  He was at the PATH 5K Courtney ran on Sunday (her first age group win).

Courtney always comments that she sees these two at every race she does.  Imagine our surprise when we saw them at the PATH 5K in Kona.

Natural Energy Lab.  It's smoking hot out there (lots of lava rock so the sun heats up the rock all day so by the time we hit this point on the run it should be smoking hot).

The run turnaround on Ali'i.  We start out running down Ali'i, turn around here, run back and then out the Queen K to the Natural Energy Lab and back. 

Lieto riding down Ali'i out to the Queen K on Tuesday.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Volvo S80 Turbo

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.